1636 | Ответить: 13 Views .: 1636 | Reply: 13
print ago Forward

[Language] My favorite dictionary

Tatyana
  • Thanked 0 times
  • Thanked 0 times
1 #
по убыванию Posted 12.11.2014 12:08:18 | descending
I recently bought an etymological dictionary of the Italian language, which had long dreamed , I was always very interesting, where there was a particular word. I want to share some of the findings.
In the ancient Roman calendar, the year began with the month of March, and it was just 10 months a year. Hence it is clear where they took their names:
September - settebmre - from the Latin. septem, ie sette, «seven», because it was the seventh month of the year. October - ottobre - from the Latin. octo - otto, «eight»
November - novembre, have all guessed that this "nove", «Nine»
December - dicembre -. "Dieci", «the ten»

The warmest, summer, months named after Roman emperors:
July - from the Latin. iulius - the name of Giulio (Cesare), Julius Caesar. A previously called modestly quintilis - ie, the "fifth".
August - from the Latin. augustus - on behalf of Ottaviano Augusto, Octavian Augustus, was previously Sextilis - "sixth".

Reform of the ancient Roman calendar took place in 46 BC, when added to the existing ten two months:
January - Ianuarius - in honor of the god Giano (Janus) - the god of beginning, beginnings, in all senses: the material and spiritual, he was worthy to open the new year.
February - from the Latin. februus - "purificatorio", cleansing.

And stay March - from the Latin. Martius, in honor of Mars; April - Aprilis, May - June and Majus - Junius, on behalf of Juno.

What is surprising how many centuries have passed, how many different calendars and new year had long been started on March 1 and in Russia before Peter I and was by September 1 and the names of many languages ​​are the same, from the ancient ancient Roman tradition.

Many interesting things I read in this dictionary .. At the end I'll write about the opening, for me personally. The Italian word magari - derived from the Greek "makarios", which means felice, happy. So name and surname Makar Makarov, I think, means "happy" (All Makarov Hello!)))) On this happy note conclude my story, and I wish you all a good day!
Irina
City
Rome

Старожил форума

• Thanked 0 times
  • Thanked 0 times
2 #
Posted 11/12/2014 12:24:54

Re: My favorite dictionary

Good day to you, too! And immediately the question where purchased and who is the author? I want the same!
Reply Thank you!

A complaint

Tatyana
  • Thanked 0 times
  • Thanked 0 times
3 #
Опубликовано 12.11.2014 12:46:42 Author | Posted 12/11/2014 12:46:42

Yes, only in the supermarket, when all the students are beginning to sell. In fact, this is not the best etymological dictionary, but still a lot of interesting

Do not restrain myself, even write, my favorite, about chess, all the time thinking, but why scaccomatto, who it crazy? ))) It turns out, scacco comes from the Persian sah, meaning "the Shah, the King," and matto - mat from the root - the "dead", ie sah mat - the king is dead. In our pronunciation of the Russian version is even more similar to the original!
Reply Thank you!

A complaint

Anna
City
Rome

Старожил форумаМодератор

• Thanked 120 times
  • Thanks 304 times
4 #
Posted 12/11/2014 13:56:32

fellow streamlined all about ... magari not know, it's interesting!
but yesterday I discovered that the word comes from the name of the ghetto area in Venice, where the Jewish community lived. supposedly word means in translation "casting", and there is a new ghetto (near the new foundry, the old Ghetto (near the old foundry), and the newest ghetto, and Jews settled first new ghetto, and then the old, ie, the definition of "new" and " old "refers to the casting, rather than at the time of check-in. from the 16th century to the bridges leading to the area of ​​the ghetto were installed gates that were closed at night, all the Jews who stayed on the mainland of Venice at the time of closing of the gates punished. it is interesting that this segregation banned Napoleon, who was a very progressive views.

also the word catacomb comes from a particular place in Rome on the Appian Way.
Reply Thank you!

A complaint

Старожил форума

• Thanked 2 Times
  • Thanked 1 Time
5 #
Posted 12/11/2014 22:16:20

It was interesting to read the explanation, especially about the names of the months.
The Belarusian ancient names are preserved, except for the month May:
studzen
rency
sakavіk
krasavіk
Traven (May)
cherven
lіpen
zhnіven
Verasen
kastrychnіk
Listopad
Snezhana
There's even no explanations are not needed. All is clear.
Reply Thank you!

A complaint

Olga
City
Bologna

Старожил форума

• Thanked 57 times
  • Thanked 15 times
6 #
Posted on 11/13/2014 2:22:46

in Ukrainian
rency - lyuty
Traven - Traven
cherven - Cherven
lіpen - Lipen
Verasen - Veresen
Listopad - leaf
Reply Thank you!

A complaint

L'alba
City
Modena

Старожил форума

• Thanked 25 times
  • Thanked 20 times
7 #
Posted 13/11/2014 22:12:27

TanyM
great! Read the morning and say to the child, if the house did not find a slovpr, then the next visit to the bookstore have to buy a dictionary
Reply Thank you!

A complaint

Stellavise
City
Treviso
  • Thanked 0 times
  • Thanked 0 times
# 8
Posted 11/14/2014 00:35:13

Oh, great Dictionary. Today was in Milan, just tore to buy the dictionary, but did not buy. We'll have to order it on the internet.
I like it a dictionary of synonyms, antonyms Zanichelli.
Now search for the dictionary of chemistry, if there is such.
Polytechnic Dictionary is also cool, but I do not have to come from Russia ordered.
In general, cool theme, just do the search for good dictionaries.
Reply Thank you!

A complaint

Stellavise
City
Treviso
  • Thanked 0 times
  • Thanked 0 times
9 #
Posted 11/14/2014 00:41:34

I looked etymological dictionary, if I am not mistaken, the author Zanichelli, costs about 120 euros.
Reply Thank you!

A complaint

Nailya
City
Bracciano

Старожил форума

• Thanked 74 times
  • Thanks 47 times
# 10
Posted 11/14/2014 12:35:28

Tell me, please, and what good and different dictionaries can be downloaded from the Internet? (I never did)
Reply Thank you!

A complaint

We're on Facebook
Russian Ukrainian English German French

GMT + 3, 21.3.2016 19:00, Processed in 2.159644 second (s), 94 queries, Gzip On.

to come back to the beginning